Sunday, June 05, 2011

I love cliches. According to the dictionary a cliche is "a trite phrase or expression also: the idea expressed by it." I feel there is some truth in them and that is why they have lasted over time. When I was growing up I used to stay with my Aunt Aileen in Stratford California. She had her favorite sayings like: "a stitch in time saves nine", "a penny saved is a penny earned," and "that which does not kill you will make you stronger." All of this is very sage advice and sometimes in my life when I'm in a tight jam I remember these. They are all profound thoughts.

My dad, my aunt's brother had a different take on life. His favorite sayings were: "save the drama for your momma", Jim you better "wake up and smell the coffee", your life is passing you by, "you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube." Your grandfather was married five times and he didn't look back. When our dog would get out and we had to chase him down the street dad would always yell out,"Stop him Newt he's headed for the barn." This usually meant our dog had headed for the neighbor's dog food in their garage. He would also say that neighbor is "one taco short of a combination plate" for always leaving their garage door open with the dog food out. I always loved my dad's sense of humor and I hope he would say: "the acorn doesn't fall far from the tree."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home